Thursday, May 19, 2011

Hey Kids, Look at the Humans

Yesterday I was running in my neighborhood and came across two deer. They both stopped and looked over at me. I stopped running as well to take in the moment. It took me back to the days when my parents used to say, "kids, look at the horses, deer, cows..." This time it seemed as though one deer said to another, "kid, look at the human!"

I really enjoy those moments that take you back in time to remember when you were a kid, why you did the things you did and what brought you to where you are today. I started out in healthcare as a psychiatric counselor for 5 years. As I explored doctoral programs, I looked into healthcare administration as a "back-up" option. When interviewing with different schools, I was drawn to healthcare administration and thought I could make a bigger difference in this field given my clinical background.

During our recent Safety Huddles, we have started or ended with several people sharing what inspired them to get into healthcare. Vicki Sherwood shared "My grandmother had a stroke when I was a senior in high school. I was vacillating on pursuing nursing or social work. The experience led me to choose nursing. I love helping others."

We also enjoyed similar stories from Erik Christianson and Larry Reimer from Human Resources and Facilities, respectively. Both said, they wanted an occupation where they could work indoors! We all have our own story that inspired us and brought us where are are today.

What inspired you to get into your field?

No comments:

Post a Comment