Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Missed

Over the past couple of weeks I have heard about several "misses:"

"I just missed the rain."
"I just missed an 'eagle' on the golf course."
"I just missed getting into a car accident."
"I just missed your call."
"I just missed you at the event."

It made me think about how some of these "misses" are good and some are not so good.

In the hospital, we sometimes have "near misses." A "near miss" is defined as any process variation in our health care delivery that could have led to an adverse outcome or sentinel event but for any number of reasons, did not.

It’s important to evaluate what we learn from these "misses" or "near misses." We should use it as a means to change a process, plan or behavior.

By the way, for you golf fanatics: you know there was very little chance of you making that "eagle." :)

I look forward to hearing from you and potential "misses" in your personal or professional lives. Are there some lessons you could share?

No comments:

Post a Comment