Friday, June 4, 2010

Thank You to Those "Behind the Scenes'

Yesterday, my wife headed out of town for a two day (39.3mile) Breast Cancer walk in Chicago. That left me and our 3 kids. My first instinct was to stay out home and let people know I was going to babys....'Stop!' I meant 'serve my fatherly duty' as was quickly shared with me by Jane (aka #6) in my office.

We had a great day and it wasn't that far off (well maybe a little) from some of the experiences I have at work.

I started the morning with a 'team huddle' to discuss the days event (this means my 3 kids woke up early and jumped on me in my bed).

We discussed the plans for the day and they ran of. First, as I usually do, we grab a quick breakfast. I arrived in the Cafe...I mean my kitchen, and found that breakfast was not yet available. Along with the kids, I too waited for the eggs, waffles, pancakes and oatmeal to be cooked and served. My kids looked at me asking where breakfast was so needless to say, I became the cook for the day. In fact, I was a quick study and prepped lunch in advance.

Then we headed to take on the days events. I must say, it was certainly business casual at the pool. I then took charge in the deep end off the diving board. Others called on me to serve as a role model and take on what others could not achieve yet today...The Cannonball. I contacted Risk Management (in this case the Lifeguard) and he gave the thumbs up. Off I went...it has been awhile since I've pulled that off but the troops seemed to enjoy my effort.

Tools, supplies and equipment along with having a voice in the organization are very important to our associates, volunteers and physicians and it certainly was the same at the household. I let my crew know that our transporter (me) needed to get some gas for the car and have it cleaned as well. I showed up to get it cleaned only to find out that I was the one who would have to do it. My kids were very helpful through the day, guiding me when I was off in the wrong direction (essentially this happened all day long). Al they asked for, in lieu of payment, was a smoothie for a hard day's work. The tradeoff seemed reasonable.

In the hospital, we have 2,000+ staff, volunteers and physicians who support our efforts. I certainly appreciate everyone's support in making our patient experience safe and first rate.

My day and weekend reminded me how much I have to thank the spouses, family and friends who support those 2,000+ 'behind the scenes'. For without them, our healthcare system would suffer and because of them, we are able to advance our efforts. Thank you.

Enjoy your weekend and stay hydrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment